This is sh-cgi , it is a cgi gateway for the acess of stronghelp manuals by
standard HTML browsers.
The current version is
1.11 (last update was Jun 8 2000) See the Changelog for what has changed since the last revision.
- John Beranek for some url escaping stuff (for c++ manual), hints on some alignment html codes and original ideas for alphabetical manual listings.
- Dave Hines for lots of asistance with the tree code,
re-writing the html output routines to be bounds safe and much heckling from
- Unpack the source tar.
- Edit the Makefile if you want to change the cgis name.
- Type make, Currently known to work on linux and solaris 2.6 (with gcc).
- Install sh-cgi in your cgi-bin directory.
- Create a directory named sh-manuals in your http document root, place
all the stronghelp manuals you wish to server in this directory(note they
should be named so they do not have any punctuation, ie no full stops commas
etc or sh-cgi will ignore these files) please be careful with case as while
acorn filesystems are case tolerant most unix filesystems are case sensitive ie
Vdu and VDU for manual names are different! (note manuals that refer to other
manuals cause this to be a problem ie they refer to VDU usualy not Vdu sh-cgi
makes no attempt to match differing case manual names)
- If you would like background images (the stronghelp star) copy the
background.gif image supplied to the sh-manuals directory as ".background.gif"
(NOTE The dot!)
- Point a web browser at http://your www server/cgi-bin/sh-cgi
- The directory used for the manuals can be set by changing the #define
- The background image name (possibly for using the background png file -
beware browser incompatabilities) can be set by changing the #define in
- The tags used for the fonts may be changed by editing the #defines in
These bits have yet to be implemented or have issues(submit a patch :-)
- Currently there is no run-time config - in future I hope to have a
.configure file in the sh-manuals directory.
- Manual names have to be an exact case match in refering tags (unix case
- Manual names with any form of punctuation are omited from the manual
list and cannot be referenced - sledgehammer way of ensuring nasty hackers
cannot get the cgi to attempt to look outside of its "sandbox".
- #spritefile and #sprite are not implemented currently - not too hard
but I would have to ship a default set of risc os sprites ?!?
- #below ,#bottom and #draw are all likewise unimplemented.
- limitations on #f - routine needs a re-think really.
- #indent,#tab and tabs in text are incorectaly handled.
- #manuals isnt implemented.
- #rgb isnt implemented.
- subpages are not implemenetd - hence #subpage ,#tag and the subpage
links dont work.
- #wrap isnt implemented.
See the licence file for more details
Any problems with this web page mail Vincent Sanders
There's lots more to the site! A good place to start is the Main Page.
100% hand typed HTML
© Vincent Sanders
$Id: index.html,v 1.1 2002/12/14 23:58:55 vince Exp $